Saturday, June 29, 2013

Prologue: Dust and Roses Part 2 conclusion

This is the conclusion of the Prologue as it pretty much appeared in the Kansas Writers Association PDF anthology published earlier this year. I am seriously thinking about changing at least this part. Here, I did some "head hopping" which is a no-no in novel crafting. The rule is pretty much one point of view character per scene. Head hopping breaks contact with your POV character and can make things confusing for the reader.

That being said, my heart tells me to leave it as is, though my head is telling me to stick to the rules. This is, after all the first chapter of the story. I might leave it up my critique group to guide me on this one. Since I'm going "indie" publishing I figure I can break a rule or two, as long as it does not hurt the reading experience. Tell me what you think. I LIKE COMMENTS, even if its a criticism. I can learn from those. So here it is -- still a work in progress -- the conclusion to the prologue.


     They brought her inside and carefully moved her from the stretcher to an empty bed. The bed had leather straps and leg ties for the insane. After Patrick brought the towels. Gloria sent him off for the hot water. Gloria closed the door. Bee stood quietly watching. The girl still appeared dazed. From her bag, Gloria produced the scissors. She cut a slit up the front of the dress and parted it. Such a shame. It was store-bought, silky, and no doubt expensive, but she needed to examine her ribs. “Bruised up. Could still be cracked. Just not sure. We’ll have to get Doctor Zwiefel out here to check on her. Bee, get me a dipper of water. Oh, and bring a nightgown.”

     There was a knock at the door. Gloria pulled a sheet to cover the girl. Bee left. Gloria took the pan of steaming water from Patrick, closed the door, then set about cleaning up the battered girl.

     “Dear, this is going to sting. I’m wiping the blood and dirt from your face.”

     Not waiting for a reply, she began to clean the cuts.

     “Oww! Stop!” The girl opened her eyes and batted the towel away. She scowled at Gloria.

     “Ahh, good. You’re awake. How’s your head? Do you know your name?”

     “Sara.” She touched her lip. “I got a headache." The girl tried sitting up, then fell back, groaning with pain. “My side hurts. I’ve never hurt like this before.”

     “I’ve seen worse. We’ll fix you up. Your ribs are sore. It looks like you’ve been kicked by a horse.”

     “My boyfriend.”

     “I’ll want to hear more about that later. What I’m more concerned about now is the baby. How far along are you?”

     The girl eyes widened, “Oh that’s right. I told you. I just went to the doctor – when was that? Yesterday? He said I was six or eight weeks along. I’m due in mid-August.

     There was a soft knock at the door. Bee returned with the water. Gloria fished around in her bag, found a bottle of aspirin, and gave it and the dipper to Sara. “This is Beatrice. Bee saw you out on the road. Bee, this is Sara.”

     Bee took the board out of her apron and wrote, SARA IS A PRETTY NAME.

     “Uh, thank you.” Sara raised her brows to Gloria.

     “Bee can’t talk, but she hears well. She doesn’t miss much. As I was saying, we need to get you checked. You’ve taken a beating. That can’t be good for the baby. We have an attending physician, Doctor Barry Zwiefel. He does routine checkups for us, as well as emergencies. I think we can call this an emergency.”

     “It hurts to move. It's a sharp pain just to breathe. Can I just rest for a while before leaving?”

     Doctor Zwiefel makes house calls. We can have him here later today. Let’s finish cleaning you

up. Bee brought some bedclothes for you.

     “Thank you.” Sara looked around. “What is your name? Are you a nurse? Is this a hospital?”

     Gloria laughed. “I’m Gloria Eisner. The people here call me Miss Gloria. I do a bit of nursing whenever the need arises. And, no, we’re not really a hospital. I manage the tenant house and supervise the inmates. My husband oversees the work farm.”

     “Inmates.” Sara noticed the handcuffs and straps attached to the iron bedrails. Oh, no. She tried to get out of the bed. I can’t be tied up. She drew in a breath. Get out. Sara threw back the covers. Get out now. Her feet hit the floor ready for flight.

     Stabbing pain lanced her gut. Shallow breaths hurt less. Her breathing became more rapid. She couldn’t get enough air. She tried to breathe yet faster. Panting turned to wheezing. Still not enough air. Panic gripped her. She couldn’t even scream. Vision blurred. Dark walls closed in. The room looked small and far away. She felt herself pulled into a tunnel.

Beatrice pointed to the handcuffs. She wrote, BED IS SCARING HER.

Gloria gripped Sara’s shoulders. “Listen, Sara. Relax. Do not panic. Breathe slowly. The cuffs and straps are not for you. We can change beds later. You are not a prisoner. You can leave anytime. Slow your breathing. You are getting too much air.” Gloria hugged her, stroking her back. “Relax … relax.”

     Dimly, Sara heard the words. Slowly, her panting subsided. The lightheadedness eased. She felt spent. She wanted to sleep, but she had to know. “Where am I?”

     Gloria shook her head. “Child, you need to sleep. We can talk later.”

     “No. I need to know now. I have no idea where I am. He abandoned me. I’ve got nowhere to go."


     Gloria considered for a long moment, “Very well. Keep an open mind. In spite of our

name, we’re rather proud of what we have here. You are at the Joshua County Poor Farm.”

     Beatrice wrote something, then turned the slate to Sara, AND ASYLUM.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment