Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Kansas Writers books I've read so far.

     I learned from the Wordfest conference in MacPherson that pictures in blogs are essential. So I will do that.

     In the past I mention Bonnie Eaton's historical novel, Nelly of No Man's Land. Great story of the 1890s. Ironically, this area would be in the heart of the dust bowl in the 1930s. In Bonnie's setting the prairie is still fairly pristine. It is about a pioneer family making the best of rough living. There is drama. Nelly's husband likes the saloon girls and he drinks. Nelly's youngest daughter, Evie, is the daughter of a lover Nelly had taken in the past. Secrets kept will become exposed. Nelly and her husband must make a choice to stay together or go their seperate ways. The story has a great cast of characters and a fine resolutuon. Psst, there may be a sequel in the future.

Swan Song by H. B. Berlow is a crime novel set in comtemporary Wichita, Kansas. Our tough guy hero goes all over town, meeting people, looking for leads, and doing what sleuths do; he gets into all sorts of trouble.  Many of the classic PI's of the past and present are closely linked with their city: Marlowe with Los Angeles, Spencer with Boston, Mike Hammer with New York. I see a possibility for a series here. I like the idea of fictional crime lords lurking behind closed door in our cozy little town. They are much more interesting then politicians.

     Next time a bit of history about the building I used as a model for the novel Dust and Roses. Yes, the building is an actual building. And, yes, it still exists, but not like in the picture. And it is in central Kansas.

    I am still editing Dust and Roses. It is interesting that as I get furthur into the story, history takes a back seat to character, conflict, and the motives that drive them both. The focus changes. At first I wondered if this was a problem, but my feeling is that in hist novels, setting is as much a character as the people, It's a set of rules to go by, but it's not necessary to dwell on the rules.

No comments:

Post a Comment